Recipe: Pickled Eggs and Beets

|
This recipe is possibly the only reason that I'm willing to try the Chinese Tea Egg recipe below. Pickled Eggs and Beets -- they too are strange looking eggs but they taste wonderful! My family has been making this recipe forever...well, since before I've been alive...and I must admit that I haven't always been a fan. It's a taste I've acquired and to admit something else, I still don't like the beets! (but you definitely need them for the flavor!) Anyway, these are super easy and great to munch on all year. I love slicing them up and eating them with crackers for lunch.

Pickled Eggs and Beets
Pickled Eggs and Beats
12 Hard Boiled Eggs, shelled
2 #303 Cans of Sliced Beets (standard size cans)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Vinegar
1 Cup Liquid from Beets*
2 Cinnamon Sticks, broken
6-8 Whole Cloves

Drain liquid from beets and set beets aside. Add Sugar, vinegar, cinnamon and cloves. Boil mixture together for 10 minutes. Place eggs and beets in glass container. Pour in liquid.

Let stand in refrigerator for several days before eating (the longer, the better!) Also, when you have eaten all of the eggs you can place more in the leftover liquid and wait a few more days for another batch!

*If liquid is less than 1 cup, add water to make full cup
Original Collector: My mother's family

0 comments:

Post a Comment